So let me tell you now – it aint gonna work!
Duct tape is a saviour for many DIY projects, but it isn’t a good fix for retic. No matter how many times you wrap that tape around the pipe the water will leak out. There is too much pressure for the tape to hold firmly. This week I was fixing a pipe in Butler that had been pierced by a garden fork and this is how it looked before I peeled away the tape.
Try this instead.
This was last week
The client had started the work, dug out some of the old reticulation and was hoping to dig out the old turf and replace with Sir Walter buffalo. Then he decided to call us and this is the result
Bobcat on Tuesday
Reticulation on Wednesday
Turf laid today
Its an instant transformation and a much better look.
Its Sir Walter Buffalo with MP rotators for sprinklers
So I quoted this job on Tuesday and as the client wanted to get it done asap I did it today instead of going surfing…
The bobcat got there yesterday and dug out the sand and spread the soil.
The retic was installed – two stations using precision nozzles as the water pressure was pretty average and one station wasn’t going to cut it. I didn’t even bother getting the trencher off the trailer for this one as the sand was soft and digging was easy.
From there it was a case of screeding and laying the lawn. This is Sir Walter Buffalo and it always comes up looking great.
All done by 1.30 and enough time left to hit the beach before dark
So you haven’t got any way of getting water to your back yard other than using a tap?
Here’s a set up that can enable you to get two stations of retic functioning well. Start by removing the garden tap and then screw a 15ml brass T piece into the outlet. Then use a 15-20ml nipple in the tee to connect the ball valve, which will allow you to isolate this retic if you ever need to.
From the ball valve you will need a 20-20ml nipple to allow connection of the digital controller. This one is a Rainmaster and is simple to use and easy to program, but they all do pretty much the same job.
From the controller you can either run one line of retic or (as in the picture) you can add an alternating valve to create two separate stations. Be aware that these valves only allow water flow of 20l/min and do require a minimum pressure to function. If this minimum pressure isn’t there they may not switch between stations.
When setting it up test it at each stage for leaks and be sure to use threadseal tape to minimise the possibility of this. And then when programming the controller be sure to schedule two start times if you have an alternating valve.
This is unusual.
I was called to a job in Jindalee where the PVC pipe had simply blown out. Where you can see the hole the PVC is soft and pliable and for some reason it had blown there.
Occasionally this happens but I haven’t figured out why yet…
Does your controller look like this one?
Lost its display or just hard to read?
Does it come on at odd times?
Chances are if it does then it might need replacing…
Give me a call on 0400044236 for great prices on a new controller all set up and ready to go!
There are big fines for those who either DIY or do it wrong. Be sure to use a licensed plumber who does it right and you won’t face any penalty.
As well as needing to be a specified distance from the water meter there needs to be a dual check backflow prevention valve installed. The image above shows one installed incorrectly which we are currently in the process of rectifiying. The simple ball valve has been connected to the elbow of the water meter rather than spaces away from it.
For cut ins we recommend Andy of Orfords plumbing based in Yanchep 0416289860
If you find your new home has very poor water flow/pressure then you might want to take a look at your water meter and see if its been fitted with a restrictor.
This week I arrived to do a job on a local property only to discover the water flow was absolutely abysmal – around 10 litres / minute and barely enough to get two half sprays sprinklers up and running.
With turf arriving in a few hours the retic needed completing so I texted my local plumber a pic of the meter and he advised me that it was fitted with a restricting device. He kindly sent a staff member around immediately and we replaced the device with an ordinary brass elbow.
It was back to normal and the job got completed with no hitches.
I’ve only had it once before but its worth considering if you are having problems with water flow